Minnow workout: stroke & hold
1. Warm up
- 200 swim (your choice of stroke)
- 100 kick (change kick style every 50)
- 100 swim
2. Drill set
- 4 x 50
- Start the first 50 by swimming the first length using just your left
arm and leave your right arm at your side. Breathe on the right side. Swim
back with both arms
- Rest 40 seconds minimum between each 50.
- Start the second 50 by swimming the first length (25) with just your
right arm and leave your left arm at your side. Breathe on the left side.
Swim back with both arms
- Repeat this one more time
3. Main set (do 3 times)
- 200 swim using long smooth strokes; don't push the pace; rest 30 seconds
- 100 IM focusing on good, long stroke technique; rest 40 seconds
- 4 x 25 with 20 seconds rest between each
- Use the STROKE & HOLD DRILL:
swim normally except when starting the pull. At this point, freeze your
arms in place (continue kicking) and "roll onto" the arm that
is extended forward. Count 6 kicks in that position before resuming the
pull. Then repeat with the other arm is extended forward.
- The purpose of this drill is to increase the rotation from side to
side and the extension at the beginning and end of the stroke. You are
teaching your body the "right" way to swim so it will remember.
- rest 60 seconds before starting it again.
4. Kick set
- 8 x 25 freestyle kick, fins optional, no kickboard
- 1st 25 on front
- 2nd 25 on right side
- 3rd 25 on back
- 4th 25 on left side
- then do it all again
5. Warm down
- easy 200, changing strokes